Not every site needs to undergo an SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) process. It all depends on the function of your site. SEO simply means to optimise a website as best as possible, in accordance with search engine guidelines. The more successful the process of SEO is, the better your odds are to get your site on the first search result page on Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
It doesn’t mean your site is terrible if it isn’t showing up on page one after a search, but it probably does mean that the sites that are on page one for your preferred keyword, have either got better, more popular content, or they’ve been optimised for Search Engines. Depending on the topic of your site, it can be very easy, or extremely hard to reach that coveted first page on Google. Traditionally, there are only ten spots available one the first search result page, and there can be thousands of other sites competing to get up there.
If you’ve heard about “SEO” and you’re not sure if you should either learn more about it and try to do it by yourself, or if you want to talk to a search professional and hire an SEO Company, here’s a short checklist you might find helpful to make a decision.
- Have you got enough spare time to learn all there is to know about SEO and then take a hands-on approach by implementing everything you learned ?
- Do you have the time to keep up with one of the fastest moving industries in the world ? Google makes an average of 500 changes per year to the way their system calculates which sites should be on page one, and which ones shouldn’t.
- Is your time worth it? Or would it be cheaper to hire a professional Digital Agency?
- Can you or your business afford SEO mistakes which might end up costing you traffic and ultimately sales ? It happens all the time.
- If you work for someone else, are you ready to step up and take responsibility when things go wrong ?
I’m not trying to scare you. In fact, I urge you to at-least try and learn about SEO basics. This will help you to make an informed decision for yourself. The link I provided above is a great starting point for beginners.